How MedaCube Works
Caregivers love this feature! MedaCube is a bulk-loaded machine. It can store up to 16 different medications, with a base of 90-day supply of each. The process is easy and fast leaving you plenty of time for other quality time with your patient or loved one.
Customize your bin configuration:
• 16 regular bins
• 12 bins (4 large and 8 regular bins)
• 8 large bins
Set Dispense Schedule
The MedaCube features unlimited daily scheduling times, As-Needed medication options with safety features, as well as titration. When adding a new medication simply tap the first few letters of the medication name and enter dose quantity and dose times.
In case your pharmacist is using QR codes for labeling your medication, the process is even simpler. Hold the amber bottle against the bar code reader located on the front of the MedaCube and all medication information is uploaded into the MedaCube automatically.
All information collected by the MedaCube is securely saved in the cloud. Authorized caregivers can view summaries and reports on their MedaCube portal account. Reports on adherence, pill inventory, pill dispensing times and when As-Needed medications are requested, are all available through a HIPAA compliant secure website. With permission from the patient, this information can be shared with physicians and pharmacists at a touch of a button. Caregivers particularly like the ‘pills taken’ report which shows the exact time the dose was taken and displays a picture of each dose’s pills in the dispense drawer.
Caregivers are notified if a dose is late or has been missed, if there is a power failure, and when a medication needs to be refilled.
Notifications are sent through text, email, or phone.
Different types of notifications:
- Alerts the patient that it is time to take their medication, including non-pill form medications (inhalers, insulin, etc). It will even call the patient 10 minutes after the dose is ready if it has not been taken.
- When the patient is late for a dose and again if a dose is missed, it notifies the caregivers
- Reminders to refill a prescription and/or obtain a new prescription are emailed to the caregivers several days before the supply is used up.
- Caregivers are notified if there is any problem with the MedaCube such as loss of Internet connectivity or any machine errors.
- Whenever the MedaCube is tilted or loses house power and runs on battery the caregivers are notified. A second notice is sent when power is restored.
- Every dose of medication can be viewed by authorized caregivers through the Internet portal.
The MedaCube can hold up to 16 different medications, with up to 90-day supply of each. You can set up the “As-Needed” feature for your patient if approved by his/her physician. You can set the amount of as needed medication per dispense. The MedaCube is able to dispense multiple dosing schedules throughout the day.
- The MedaCube is also a strongbox for medication. The unit should be locked at all times unless a caregiver is loading it. A caregiver PIN limits patient access and protects essential features like medication schedules and dose quantities.
- Normally the MedaCube is plugged in to a power outlet. However, it has a battery backup in case of a power outage. In fact the MedaCube can operate on battery and dispense doses for 24 hours, and in some cases even longer.
- All medication-containing bins are covered and sealed. The device has pill containment features active at all times between dispensing. The MedaCube is also tilt-aware. In case the MedaCube is tilted, dropped, or mishandled, the unit locks down and sends an alert to the caregiver.
Non-Pill Form Medications
Additionally, the MedaCube features a reminder system that can be used for non-pill form medications such as insulin, inhalers, etc. You can set multiple reminders during the day.
- Dimensions — 10″ x 10″ x 10″
- Weight — 10 lbs.
- Care — use dry cloth to dust, and clean medication bins. Clean the dispense drawer with dry to lightly damp cloth. Always make sure it is dry inside before reinserting.
- Tilt sensor — the MedaCube features a tilt sensor. If it is tilted or dropped, the caregiver is notified and the MedaCube locks in the medication until the patient’s caregiver arrives.